Sunday, May 23, 2010

Floral Thanks

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend! :) Mine was just a nice lazy one -- baked a little and learned that the hubs prefers buttercream icing over whipped cream (but honestly, the amount of butter that goes into buttercream icing freaks me out).

I finally ordered some study material (for those lovely standardized tests) so when that comes, lazy weekends and weeknights are going to be so rare. My mantra is to enjoy them while I can! Now that the hubs has finally graduated, it's my turn to get a few fancy letters to add to my name. And I'm hoping that we'll have a more permanent location by next year (but I also have a few weekend programs in mind in case -- as if I didn't travel enough...).

This card is just a fun one for Steph's generous blog candy for free WMS stamps! Now I'm not going to officially enter but I think it'd be fun if you did! Steph asked for everyone to create a project for Scrap Our Stash May Challenge which was to create something out of the box (ala, things you don't normally do). So what are you waiting for? Steph has even extended the deadline to Friday!


I decided to try something that wasn't my style -- I'm a CAS stamper in case you haven't noticed. This card is totally not my style (definitely more scrappy) but I love trying things that aren't me. It's like how when I was a kid, I'd hop around the basement playing dress-up with my mom's old dresses and hop around in her insanely high heels.

There was some talk awhile back on the WMS forum about using patterned paper on cards. I am one of those totally guilty of buying patterned paper because its pretty (and hoarding it). I tell my husband that at least paper is so much cheaper than a cute skirt... So today I decided to pull them out and create a card with WMS stamps and patterned paper. The colors are so fun though, aren't they?

The other thing that's new is the rosette base. I've seen lots of rosettes created and I finally decided to do one myself. I created a rosette flower by cutting a strip of 12 by 12 paper. I scored it at every 1/2 inch and border punched the edges. In retrospect, the paper strip should have been a little longer, however I didn't think to measure my first strip of paper so eh! The paper is actually leaf paper from My Mind's Eye (Quite Contrary). In the middle are the flowers from Big Blooms Chrysanthemums. The middle flower fits so well in the 1 3/4 inch circle punch and the smallest flower fits in the 1 inch circle punch. :)

A few letter stickers, some stitching and buttons later, I have a hip little thank you card. :)


Stamps: (Big Blooms Chrysanthemums) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: (Quite Contrary) My Mind's Eye, (Bayberry Cottage) Pink Paislee
Accents: (Letter Stickers) Making Memories, (buttons) Making Memories, (ribbon) PTI

17 comments:

  1. Just love the gorgeous patterned paper, it contrasts so well with the bright colours of the other elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is beautiful, Belinda, I love the pink and black together.
    Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color combo of your card. It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful card and i agree the color combo rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. huh - i had to do a double take when i saw this card up on your flickr stream since this wasn't the belindasque style. but i must say that you did a fab job in "getting outta the box" and using your pattern paper like that. i like how you concentrated the lime green in the middle! you have a great sense of design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Those papers are super fun and I love the colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belinda this is BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belinda, so classic and colorful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I love the bright colours with black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great colors on this pretty card Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. It's beautiful. Great colors, pretty flower, and great use of the patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for using some hoarded PP! And even if it isn't your normal style it's awesome and I'll bet you had fun creating it, right?
    Love the rosette...keep meaning to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's fabulous, even if you don't think it's your style.

    ReplyDelete