Friday, December 10, 2010

Waltzingmouse Twelve Days of Christmas

ETA: I created the hat from paper. Added some more details to step 6


Hi there! I am pleased to be your hostess this morning for Day 5 of the Twelve Days of Christmas, Waltzingmouse Style! Be sure to check out the WMS Blog for the past few days and for the upcoming days!

Normally at this time we would be previewing new stamp sets for release. However, this month WMS is taking a break from releasing new stamps to allow us (all!) to enjoy the holidays with family and friends, as well as to focus on some fantastic things happening behind-the-scenes! It is all very exciting, and we appreciate your enthusiasm!

In lieu of a release this month, we are instead coming together to bring you some ideas and inspiration for holiday crafting (and beyond) which we are calling the Twelve Days of Christmas, Waltzingmouse Style! Each day will showcase a different Design Team member, so be sure to check the WMS Blog daily through December 17th for the links.

So on the 5th day of Christmas, I present a fun little gift for your friends, family and neighbors.

I present to you snowmen spa tubes. :) They're something you can make for the young at heart or even let the little ones help. I know most of us are super busy around this time so I wanted to create something relatively easy to mass produce as well.

I filled some test tubes with bath salts -- after the stressful holidays, the recipient can relax in their own tub. To make the tubes festive, I decided to make my tube a snowman. And what snowman can go to his new home without a snazzy carrier?


Just because I used bath salts, doesn't mean you have to -- you can really fill it with anything. You can fill it with hot cocoa, bath salts, jelly beans, nuts, the list goes on. Since it's chilly outside, I made some hot cocoa ones (layers of hot cocoa, chocolate chips and marshmallows) as well - yum!

I took some pictures while making this little snowmen in case you'd like to try them as well.

1. Gather your supplies.
  • Test Tube(s) - Mine are 6 inches with a 1 inch diameter that I got from Etsy (In the Clear).
  • Gems
  • Ribbon
  • Adhesive
2. (Optional) Color your gems. I don't have black gems so I used a Sharpie marker to color my gems black.

3. Adhere gems to your test tube (which I had already filled with bath salts (so you can see the gems)

4. Cut and color your snowman nose. I used the end of a wooden skewer which I made my husband saw for me which then caused him to curse all things craft as he hurt his finger. Carrie told me that I should have used garden shears instead (if only we owned such things).

5. Tie ribbon around snowman. You can see right now that one end sticks up...

6. With a glue dot, adhere the ribbon down. Finish decorating the snowman as you see fit.
For the hat, I wrapped a thin strip of black paper around the tube. The hat lid is created by creating a ring with my circle punches (outer diameter is 1 3/8 inch and the inner diameter is 1 1/8).

If you run out of time, you could just tie a tag to the snowman's scarf and stop here.

7. Create box. Cut a 8.5" by 5" cardstock. (This means you can create 2 boxes with one piece of cardstock). Place it in the landscape direction and score at 1.5", 3.5", 5", and 7".

8. Turn it in the portrait direction and score at 1.5" and 3.5".

9. Make 1.5" cuts from the top of the page and from the bottom.

10. Use the nesties to cut a circle.

11. Assemble the box. Cut two 2" by 8.5" pieces of acrylic cardstock for the sides of the holder. I used the SU! word window punch to punch handles for my holder, scored my acrylic sheet one end at the 2 inch mark (for the base) and the at the other end at the 1 3/4 inch mark and the 2 3/4 inch mark.

12. Decorate your box as you see fit and place your snowman in. For the box, I stamped the pattern from Pic-Nic Patterns and created a simple little band with the let it snow sentiment from Compliments of the Season. I created a little tag for the top and tied it with a bit of silver twine.

Hope you enjoyed the 5th day of the Twelve Days of WMS Christmas. Thanks for stopping by!


Stamps: (Compliments of the Season, Pic-Nic Patterns, Half Baked, Around Christmastime )
Accents: (gems) Hero Arts
Fibers: (ribbon) Craft Supply, (silver twine) Jewelry Essentials
Tools: (Word Window Punch) SU!, (circle die) Spellbinders
Other: (tubes) In the Clear Etsy Shop, (skewers)

47 comments:

  1. What a fun gift!! I love your snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. Greetings from snowy North-Germany, ines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Thanks so much for the directions! This idea will work for many things. Thanks again for a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic project and a great tutorial. Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable and irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet idea, I love the snowman - could imagine it would work also wel if one fills it with chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable idea-my daughter and I are getting ready to make our batch of homemade hot chocolate! perfect timing for a container idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if THAT isn't the cutest little snowman! What an awesome idea, Belinda! Thanks for sharing the step by step (poor hubby!)...I also love the CB picture, because I often wonder how to get a nestie circle cut out of a template like that! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! A very cute, easy gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute are these little guys Belinda! Love that you can put all kinds of treats in them - thanks for all the deets on how to make the wonderful box too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable idea! Your snowmen look so cute. Thanks for the detail instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your test tube snow men are so awesome, Belinda! What a great and inexpensive gift idea! Who wouldn't love one of those cute guys! Great tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh so sweet and would be great for teachers and kids alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This project is just too adorable!!! How super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome project Belinda! I just love the tube of salt and the base that you made for it! Just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute!!! Even the nose :) Tell Brian the injury was worth it, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SO cute, Belinda!
    I love those tubes, and you did a great job with the tutorial too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely brilliant Belinda!!! AND a fabby tutorial!! Such fun!!! Beautifully made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute idea! It's so creative. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun idea! Great step by step photos, too. Where did you get the black hats?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my Belinda! What a darling project & awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super clever and adorable! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eeee! This is TOO cute! Thanks for kicking my weekend off with a smile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your work blows me away, Belinda!! The snowmen are already super adorable on their own, and then you took it even further by making a box/stand! Ack! AWESOME project and tutorial!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cute gift idea, Belinda. You are just so darn creative! Love the snowman's nose and scarf. Your packaging is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belinda, your project looks wonderful! Great tutorial.
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adorable idea. And congrats on Gallery Idol! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful and fun idea :o).
    Just I wish I knew where to get these tubes in Germany besides in the expensive drugstore supplies.
    Thank your for the great inspiration and the instructions!
    XX Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a fun project and great gift idea Belinda! Thanks for the great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fun and creative!!!! Great tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is so cool! what a fun idea! fabulous project, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These little guys are too cute!!! Great tutorial too :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Belinda,

    Love how you came up with these cute snowmen in the tubes!!! Perfect and fun!

    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Belinda I LOVE this idea.. I NEED TUBES.. hmm! LOL!! Such a FUN idea.. THANKS for sharing it!!
    Happy Holidays!
    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. so cute! and guess who i was checking out in the latest issue of PC today! why yes, you, miss gallery idol winner! congrats again and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Belinda! What a great and cute holiday gift idea!

    Cheers!

    ~Spike

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the test tube snow man, Belinda! Love the idea! I too need test tubes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Belinda

    Received my blog prize this morning - thanks for posting all the way to Scotland!. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How absolutely wonderful! Great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg! these snowmen are too freakin adorable!

    ReplyDelete