Saturday, September 11, 2010

Waltzingmouse Stamps Sept Preview - Day 3

Welcome to day three of the WMS previews!  The DT and I are featuring FIVE new stamp sets that will be available for purchase at the Waltzingmouse web store on Sunday, September 12th.  



I just wanted to remind you all to check out Claire, Anya, Bonnie, Carly, Jennifer, Julia, Laurie, Lisa, Lynn, and Mona, who all have fabulous projects to share with you! In addition, today the WMS sketch team is also able to use some of the new sets so be sure to check out the sketch blog for some more sneak peeks!

Today I'm showing you the fabulous Nutcracker Sweet and Music Backgrounds set. I adore these two sets. In fact, so much that I couldn't put them down. If I colored faster, everyone would be getting these are their Xmas cards this year. However, I'm not insane... unfortunately for my friends and family.

I actually made a few coloring boo-boos while coloring this little buddy.
* A little too much red leaked out from the bottom. Red is a hard color to fix - I tried, I really did but it was just too much leakage. So I decided in an effort to salvage my image, I'd cut the nutcracker out. I also used a gold gel pen to cover some of the thinner lines in the image to cover the red boo-boos.
* The tree shading didn't meet my specifications either -- so what did I do? Yes, I colored another one and added some dimension to the image with a pop dot. Hah -- and you thought that was intentional... ;-)

If this is the only thing you learn from reading my blog-o, I want to make sure you all learn this: It's never how well you color, but rather how well you know how to cover up your mistakes. ;-) And let me tell you, I am the master at making mistakes.

I wanted to create a fun little pleated border but to add some dimension, I went ahead and ruffled the edges a little. My button is actually a white button and since I was copic-happy at this point, I went ahead and colored it to match the rest of my project.  When you color buttons (or any large shiny surface), be sure to let it dry before using. It's a little sticky otherwise.

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

  1. Well he looks pretty darn perfect to me Belinda - thank you so much for telling us how to cover up our mistakes! Still think you are the perfect crafter! One of the things I love most about my copics is colouring buttons, gems, etc to match my projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belinda,

    Loved reading your story and learned so much from this post! ;-) Coloring buttons, making paper ruffles and covering up mistakes! Really did look intentional that tree, so it worked perfect and I love the colors on the card, looks really fun and pretty! Great work and thanks for your funny post!

    Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card for the most deserving of friends and family. Great tip about Copic markers and buttons. You did a greast job despite all your so called boo-boos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is so fabulous! Your coloring is amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belinda, this is adorable - all your posts for this release have been wonderful by the way x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acchhh!! gorgeous coloring on your St. Nicholas Belinda! love the layered tree and the great pleated paper on the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beeeeeeautiful! You are definitely a master at taking advantage of unintended consequences. :)
    You card is wonderful. I really like how you worked in the subtle music background and the pleated bottom edge, and of course the colored button! :)
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous St Nick, and the little boo boos are not noticeable at all!! Fab colouring and love the ruffled paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Look at the colors on this, it's beautiful! So eyecatching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your colouring is lovely... I used pop dots in a scrapbook once to cover up some spelling mishaps, and heck, I think I liked it even better... and I think your tree is perfect! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing coloring Belinda....pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW Belinda! Your card is gorgeous! You did such an amazing job coloring the Nutcracker & that musical background is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your coloring is wonderful; no mistakes can take that away! Love the pleated border treatment, too. It adds such a special touch to this card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice... beautiful combination of color and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice cover-ups. love how you share your hacks. gives me new set of tips & tricks to add to my hat of hacks. i do adore the nutcracker and how you colored him. the tree looks marvelous and you should stick to that story - "popped on purpose" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card, love the Nutcracker stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so very pretty, Belinda! love the classy colors! gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. It's gorgeous. If you had never told me about your cover-ups, I would never have known and just thought you were perfect.

    ReplyDelete