Monday, June 14, 2010

I Lawn for You - Gallery Idol Round 2

Let round 2 of Paper Crafts Gallery Idol begin! Thanks for all the support from round 1 and I'd love your support again for round 2! :) I hope you'll consider voting for me here!

Round 2's theme was masculine cards using inspiration from the garage. I've learned over the years that the guys I know LOVE puns and they LOVE interactive cards. So I decided to make an interactive and punny card for that special someone.


If you ever let a guy walk into Hallmark and pick a card, I'd put money on him picking a funny card. So with my masculine cards, I love adding something punny. My hubs pretty much groaned when I told him what the sentiment was going to be - a sign of a cheese-tastic sentiment. The sentiment "I lawn for you mow and mow" (or "I long for you more and more") is a great anniversary sentiment or a great lovey dovey but not so girly love card. And I certainly hope that each and every one of you longs for your special someone every day more and more.



I've also learned that my husband likes interactive cards. If something on the card moves, he's sooo much more impressed with it. So I decided to place part of the sentiment on the grass for the guy to pull out. (I also thought that I Lawn For You Mow and Mow might be too much cheese for one person to take at once... haha, after all not everyone has the same cheese quota as me)

I didn't have a lawn mower stamp but I did have a pen. So I hand drew the pieces. I realize that it's obviously not realistic so I took a more graphical approach to this card. The wheels I composed from buttons and the grass are strips of green paper I trimmed with decorative edge scissors.

The sentiment is composed from letter stamps that I used to spell "I Lawn" and then the "for you" is from another set I have. I embossed the sentiment as I felt like the white against black really stood out this way. The "mow and mow" sentiment is spelled out with letter stickers. I felt like I needed a stronger border so I did some simple faux stitching along the edge.



Just to give you a better idea of how I did the pull statement... There's a lot of layering and a lot of dimensional adhesive to make this work. By adding the dimensional adhesive, it holds the pull statement up and in place.

Thanks for stopping by and please remember to vote!

17 comments:

  1. soo creative, belinda! awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is absolutely adorable!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so clever!
    You did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've just described MY husband! That's too funny, and your card is awesome. What a fabulous scene. Love the pop of red color too. Good luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belinda, this is such a cool idea! Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your puny card is so adorable! Best of luck, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever Belinda, love your lawnmower! Congrats on making it to the 2nd round...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the next round. This card is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it Belinda!! and congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You totally rocked this challenge and for SURE have my vote Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun card! Your drawing is fabulous! Love the pull out greeting! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just so fun and creative Belinda! and you are 100% right - guys go for the humor! I voted for you - good luck in round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your card!!its so fun! and so funny about how men love interactive cards, my hubby does too, amazing what things amuse them! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just Brilliant! I will be at CHA some of the time. And working the store so other empoyees get to go some of the time we'll have to plan to get together.

    ReplyDelete