Monday, November 22, 2010

Out of this World Birthday

Last year I made our friend D a birthday card per request of the hubs. When we went to go visit him in the summer, he pulled out my card (that he had saved for at least 6 months) and showed it to everyone in attendance. With that kind of love, how do you not give D a personalized card this year? With that act, he single handedly insured himself a fabulous card every year. 

Since D is a big Star Trek fan, I thought that the spaceship from Half Pint Heroes would be perfect. Now I had tried to come up with some pun relating to trekkie-ness. However, try as I might, nothing was coming to me. I asked the hubs to help but he just had a grand time laughing at my attempts.

Ok, given that I couldn't come up with a pun, the next logical thing is to create a shape card. So I opted for a moon shaped card, which in retrospect wasn't the grandest of plans. It's actually quite a small card given that my largest circle die was 4 1/4 inches wide. I cannot wait to get my hands on a Grand Calibur and some larger dies... That said, I'm very good at writing small and luckily D isn't old enough to need bifocals yet.



A bit of coloring to attempt to personalize the face in the middle and some glossy accents on the windows adds some fun details. Although this is a "winter" version of him... I couldn't get his face dark enough although I did give him some stubble on his chin. ;-) Figured that after studying so hard for his crazy exams that I probably wasn't too wrong on the stubble.  (Also it was when I realized the color I was using was a bit dark for his skin... but shhhhh!)

Happy Belated D! (Sorry we're always late as we just put this card in the mail earlier today..)



Stamps: (Half Pint Heroes) Waltzingmouse Stamps
Cardstock: PTI
Ink: (Tuxedo Black) Tsukineko
Coloring Medium: (markers) Copics
Accents: (gems) Hero Arts, (glossy accents) Ranger
Tools: (star punch) Fiskars, (circle die) Spellbinders

20 comments:

  1. I love this moon card Belinda! what a fun, fun design for your trekie friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cute card Belinda! Don't you just love it when someone truly appreciates your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea! I think this card will be saved for ever.

    Greetings ines

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great card! I love that you made a moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so creative. What a cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this is just the cutest!!! I am glad I just ordered the set *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever Belinda! I adore this card and how you explained its conception! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab, fun card! Adore the shape and LOVE the pun based sentiment :)
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute ! I am impressed with the use of the stars to get it to stand up, even. I would have never figured that out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh MY, this is super duper cute and creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, that act of adoring admiration from D is totally deserving more of your amazing cards. This card is out of this world indeed and I imagine D will definitely be pulling it out again next time you see him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. eeek!!! it's soooo cute, I love the rocket!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it Belinda! This is so beautiful, clever and original!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fabulous! I love the shaped card. Look at you using your engineering degree again!

    I'm sure he'll treasure it because it is indeed a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is adorable!! Such a fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. super duper cute and such a fun shape! LOOOOOOOOVE this fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belinda, I *LOOOVE* this card!! This is too cute for words! :o) As someone else mentioned, I love how you used the star to help the card stand up -- very clever! And I think it's so sweet that your friend saved the card you made and then showed it to everyone!

    ReplyDelete