Sunday, November 15, 2009

Holiday Gift Series - 1

A little break from our regularly scheduled programming... I'm on the hunt for quick and cheap holiday gifts.

I've been a little slow on the posting recently since first off it's 4th quarter and work is always hectic this quarter... Need to make monies for the company so I can get a bonus! A bigger bonus means more stamps! Secondly, I'm trying to finish up the Christmas schinanigans.

This year, I'm going homemade where I can. My husband thinks this opens the door to some unreturnable homemade gifts but like I told my husband, I'd rather get that than say an ugly Christmas candle holder that I can't return for much value either. Bring on the homemade! So I figured I'd share some of my "cheap" homemade gifts.

So here's gift option #1... Now imagine this with a cute little stamped tag... :)

I love purses. What woman doesn't love purses? I'm not going to disclose how many purses I own but lets just say there's a closet of purses and bags... And if you don't like purses, it's super green to bring in your own lunch to work in a stylish bag... This could totally work for a lunch bag as well.

I made a "fat quarter" bag. I had found some other cute patterns but I wanted to minimize the extra fabric I had laying around (at least until I know what to do with it more). This bag is basically a fat quarter for the lining and a fat quarter for the outside. So basically 1/2 yard of fabric makes 1 purse.

I found some fabric in Joanne's that I could "live" with. I'm not thrilled with it but I didn't have much choice this round. I went with the home section fabric -- gives it a little more umph I feel.

Total Cost Breakdown:
Handles: $5
Cloth: $5 (2.50 for the outside pattern and 2.50 for the lining fabric)
Interfacing: $2
-----------------
Total: $12

Time Breakdown:
Cut time: 15 min
Iron time: 30 min
Sewing Time: 1 hr
-----------------
Total: ~2 hrs

I didn't add a pocket but I haven't completely sealed this guy up so it's still possible. Also, I could have been fancier with the outside by adding a strip or something. I'm also planning on picking up some magnets so it seals better. Eventually I'd like to add a zipper but that's a long way in the future. :)

We're going to be making lots of my own purses! Oh, imagine the possibilities. Instead of the eh fabric that I got at Joanne's, imagine this in some Amy Butler fabric, Heather Bailey, or maybe with Patty Young's latest Floral and Fauna collection! Swoooon!

Hopefully no one minds a homemade gift this year... I promise they'll only get better over time. And I try not to be too lame...

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program!

13 comments:

  1. super cute!! I think anyone would love this!! Did you have a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I would love to get this as a gift! Do tell how you made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out super cute ! I'm impressed :) Zippers scare me... if you ever master them, I demand you fly down here and give me a lesson.. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's lovely and maybe I'm boring but I love that fabric. I'm sew on paper only girl, but I'd love to learn how to make things like this...wanna come teach me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. I really like that fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure wouldn't mind getting this as a gift Belinda! I love the shape of it and that material looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When do you find the time to do this? Oh my, that is cute. Hold a class, looks like a few of us will come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belinda this is ace! love this, and I have sooo many fat quarters just hangin about..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need the pattern! I could totally get away with having more purses and make my husband happy by using my sewing machine more often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belinda this is FANTASTIC!!!!! I have so many fat quarters too.. hmmm I may need to try! ;)

    that card swap sounds fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I'm impressed. It's great and I bet the recipient will be really happy.

    I can barely sew a button. I failed Home Ec.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the purse - what pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete