Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Make It Monday - Ugly Stepchild Purple

We've been a little sick in this household.

Actually...
I have a few sniffles. That's about as sick as I've ever been. And I'm miserable.
The husband... well lets just say if I was ever that sick, I'd probably fling myself off a building.
I'm actually a little convinced that our basil is sick too. I think Mr. Basil just misses the summer air though. 

So after dealing with the sniffles and a long two days at work (yes... I know it's only Wednesday), I decided I needed to each some chocolate, watch Biggest Loser and craft.

Is it just me but I LOVE watching people work out while I pig out. Is that odd?

I really don't just watch TV all night... I swear. 


To get into the swing of things, I decided to participate in Papertrey Ink's first Make it Monday challenge. Challenges are always a fun way to get the ideas spinning and I just needed that kick today. This week's challenge was to use multiple sentiments on your card.  What a fun concept - and something I've always loved when I've seen others do it.

When I chose colors, I decided to use purple. For some reason, it' a color I don't turn to often. It's like the ugly stepchild of colors for me. Do you have an ugly stepchild color?

So I stamped my sentiments in Versamark and embossed with clear embossing powder. I love embossing. Instead of using a stamped panel, I wanted to create a window. I have an obsession with windows right now as well. Embossing and windows...

To emphasize my window, I pierced a circle around my die cut window. Added a little crocheted flower and some buttons.


And there you go -- just a little simple didly for a friend on her birthday. Just don't tell them purple is my ugly stepchild...

Thanks for stopping by! :)
Have a fabulous rest of the week!



Stamps: (Birthday Basics, Up Up and Away) Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: (Plum Pudding, Lavendar Moon, Vintage Cream) Papertrey Ink
Hybrid Ink: (Plum Pudding) Papertrey Ink
Watermark Ink: Tsukineko
Embossing Powder: (clear) Ranger
Fibers: (floss) DMC, (twine) May Arts
Accents: (felt, buttons)
Tools: (Circle die) Spellbinders

28 comments:

  1. LOVE this Belinda! I love that flower and the color combo! So sorry you are all sick! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda, being a February Baby and having an amethyst birthstone, I so disagree. I love this color! and the card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Belinda. I love it! Need to find some of those little crocheted flowers. Good luck with the challenge.

    Tastes change. I didn't used to be a fan of purple and now I am. Smokey, dusky purple. Yum! Lavender, not so much. I actually have rooms in my house with purple paint on the walls and they are beautiful. I have a hard time with pink. I like it, but I think it is THE hardest to match, e.g. when you are trying to find the right cardstock for your DP. My fav pink is PTI's Hibiscus Burst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time with purple too, but you did a fabulous job with it! I love the sentiments stamped inside the circle "window" and the piercing around the outside. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a gorgeous card belinda! {purple is not my fave either!!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love purple, but I don't use it in my cards much at all! I love your take on the challenge!Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the design of this card, the purple looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Melon Berry is my ugly stepchild color - love it but can't seem to use it. I like how you highlighted the sentiments with the circle window. Great concept. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Wow...I might have to CASE this one (I''ll give you full credit!). I really like the cut out circle and the sentiments behind it. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melon Berry is my ugly stepchild of colours: I try to hard to embrace it but it ends up in rejection LOL!
    Adore your take on the Make It Monday challenge - such a clever use of the aperture!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i spy a perfectly crocheted flower. i love love the purple and i think you need to promote the purple stepchild to an adopted child :) my stepchild is prolly anything yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, I guess I need to learn to crochet. Hot flower :) And as you know, I agree with your sentiments about purple. I love wearing it, but why it so hard to use in paper form?? Weird! I think you did a goog job with this one though :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your card Belinda, the window looks great! I kinda like purple, just hate how it photographs sometimes. My ugly colour is yellow, I avoid it like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you have the sniffles Belinda. How do you pronounce Basil...BAY-ZIL or BAH-ZIL? I like purple alright, but peach (Melon Berry) makes me run screaming! *shudder*
    I love your purple crochet flower and that window too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the card, Belinda! And I'm with you on purple. Rarely use it. And my daughter chose it as one of her wedding colors. Guess I better learn to like it. :) (I'm also with you on The Biggest Loser... always watch it while having a bowl of ice cream... what's with that?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely amazing card!! Thank you for sharing and get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very pretty! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your card, the window is such a nice touch. Purple is my least fav color too. Hope you feel all the way better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. every single detail on this card is just perfect! love the window idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just stunning Belinda! Sorry to hear you're all sick but hopefully this card will cheer you up! It certainly made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks pretty brilliant to me that stepcolor purple :) get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it. It's a very sweet card. (And yes, I love to watch weight loss shows while eating ice cream!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice Belinda!!! I love the color purple, but rarely craft with it. You did a great job with that color and I love the circle design!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sorry you've been sick. I hope by the time you read this, you and the hubby are both feeling better.

    I love your window card. How do you get your piercing so even?

    Ugly stepchild of color? Bwa ha ha!

    Great concept. My ugly stepchild is actually a whole family. The Neon family. Hid-eeeee-ous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this purple! My ugly step child is melon berry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this card, it is so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete