Friday, July 31, 2009

Life's simple pleasures

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their support with Paper Crafts Gallery Idol! It was a fun ride and I'm thrilled that I got as far as I did. :) Thanks to the PC staff as well for hosting it year after year -- I'm sure its not trivial.

The hubs and I are going white water rafting tomorrow. For some reason, when the hubs asked if I wanted to go, I thought this was like a 2 hours venture... nope... it's 6 hrs... Wish me luck! (Here's hoping I don't come back looking like a lobster! I burn like no other)

When I was in high school my mom started a quilt for me. We went to the discount section of Joann's and I got to pick some fabrics out. It was intended for me as a college gift. Turns out that it took my mom 7 years to finish that quilt and became my brother's college quilt.

So why not make a fun card inspired by the memories invoked by quilts? I cut a 4 by 4 square and then lay all my patterned paper pieces on it. Trimed the edges and then proceeded to paper pierce each and every square. I then added some faux stitching with my black pen.

Since the card is all sorts of colors, I added 3 buttons in different colors using the prominent colors in my paper quilt. I might not be able to sew but I can certainly pretend. ;-)


For diagonals, cut a piece of paper to adhere your patterned paper to. Then trim the edges. Easy peasy!


Stamps: Shapes by Design (PTI)
Paper: Making Memories, PTI
Ink: Dark Chocolate (PTI)
Accessories: 1 3/8 inch square punch (EK Successs), Nestabilities Label Die, Ribbon (PTI), Paper Piercer, Pen, Buttons (Making Memories)

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, love the quilted look, this is so nice for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have that paper pad as well...I should pull it out! Congrats again on your great run with PC Idol, you made the most amazing cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your paper quilt Belinda! The faux stitching looks fabulous!

    Confession - I still have an unfinished quilt languishing in my cupboard.....one day!!

    Good luck with the rafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the patterns and colors you used. This is a great card! Congrats again on your Idol progress. I LOVED your humor card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I had to laugh, I can sooo identify with your mom. I started a quilt for my oldest daughter and finished it ten years later. The other kids? Well, I guess they can look at her quilt. :) Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all went well on you water rafting trip. Sounds like fun!! Your quilt card is beautiful!! I love the colors, patterns and the sewing! The design is perfect.

    I look forward to working along side you as gd for Sweet and Sassy stamps this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wondered when you got a sewing machine - tricky technique there :) You're so patient with the paper piercer!!! LOL :) Hope you had fun on the rafting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a FUNNY story! and what a GREAT card!! Love the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt card, such a fantastic design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt effect and worth all the extra work to produce this gorgeous card.

    I will admit I was really sad that you didn't move on to PC Idol winner. I was so hoping you'd win. Congrats for making it so far. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I thought that was real stitching! Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing the directions!

    ReplyDelete